Am 24.05.2011 15:38, schrieb Okuro Okiawa:
Well, and exactly that's the reason, why openSUSE and Linux in general is mostly common in nerds or IT freaks (besides the Linux Servers). The question for openSUSE now is, which direction should be chosen: (1) reach more users or (2) let away all the "user-friendly" stuff and keep the distro clean of mostly useless stuff.

I cannot really decide between the two options... For me personally, (2) is the best option, but (1) would make openSUSE more competitive in the OS-market. (In this regard, Ubuntu is a step ahead.)

This is one of the reasons why I would prefer two openSUSE releases. One "Personal" release for the users, who aren´t so savvy at all, and one "Professional" release for the users, who say, that they don´t need such stuff for help and user friendly apps, but more devel-stuff or network-software.

But I think, the disadvantage of this bi-released-openSUSE is the fact, that maintaining and care about the two releases is more more difficult then "just" maintaining *one* single DVD-version and the KDE/GNOME live CD.

But I think this doesn´t belong to this thread actually, and if anyone´s interesting in continue such discussion, just open another thread or mail me privacy.

-kdl

PS: By the way, what´s on with the strategy discussion? Is there any result, or any things that needs to achive? Afaik it´s in freeze-mode till the foundation is founded, is that right?

--
Kim-Dennis Leyendecker
openSUSE Ambassador / openSUSE Wiki Team DE