On Wednesday 14 March 2007 09:51, Clayton wrote:
> > Functionality IS lost when I have programs that cannot access the
> > CD/DVD drive because they are looking for a /dev/cdrom or /dev/hdc
> > mount point and wonderful Suse 10.2 won't provide it. Why not? Who
> > knows.
>
> I'm curious what applications or programs you are having issues with.
>  I've had just one application (X-Plane) take issue with the way mount
> points are handled in SUSE, and that is because the installer is
> poorly (or badly?) programed.  The workaround in this case it to sym
> link /mnt/dvd to /media/XPLANE and it works fine... not the most
> elegant solution, but the fault (in my opinion) is the X-Plane
> installer not HAL or anything related to how SUSE implements mount
> points.
>
> Otherwise all applications I have that need to access the DVD writer
> or DVD reader I have in my PC work perfectly.

That's because you are working in a smaller universe.

Never assume that just because something works there that it works
everywhere. Dvdshrink is one app that I can think of right now. It runs
under wine and expects a mounted device, not a damned media label.
It worked just fine under Suse 9.1 and it should work fine now but it
doesn't.

No, I do not think that I should create a simlink each and every time that
I want to use one of these programs that require a device mount point.
Yes, I know what the problem is and I would like for the design team to
realize that it is a problem that needs to be fixed.