On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 08:22 -0500, Bryen wrote:
> > Non-sense there is more than enough freeware for Windows, you only have
> > to look for it. And in regard to MSoffice There aren't any compulsory
> > subscription fees after your initial purchase.
> >
> I don't think you're accustomed to the problems that corporate consumers
> face.  For the home user, these issues are not as prevalent.  But for
> corporate customers, there is ALWAYS ALWAYS the price of a "hidden"
> cumpulsory subscription.   Remember, corporations rarely, if ever, pay
> the retail price you see for software.  They negotiate and they get
> discount buyins.  Unfortunately, with Microsoft, discounts come at a
> hefty price.  Take for example, a customer of mine who was griping about
> recently having to spend over half a million dollars (US) on upgrades to
> MS Office 2007.   His contract locked him in to buying it as a
> guarantee.
>
> As for the excuse that there are plenty of freeware options available
> for XP.  Sure there is, but for corporate customers, heh, the IT
> Department is unlikely to support or sanction its use in the company.
> They are not about to introduce new software if it doesn't have strong
> solid support behind it.  And that's where Novell comes in, because you
> know you get strong solid support behind their products.
>
> You speak of great experience when it comes to home users, and for that
> I respect you.  But your assumptions about the
> culture/politics/buying-power of the corporate world are severely
> misguided.
>
> --
> ---Bryen---

I think we should make a distinction between small business and large
corporations. You are absolutely right about large corporations. However
these arguments doesn't apply for small businesses. Small business is
almost in the boat as the home user. For example often they don't have
enough workstations to negotiate discount buyins. What can Novell offer
small business and the home user?

--
Regards,

Aniruddha

Please adhere to the OpenSUSE_mailing_list_netiquette
http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_mailing_list_netiquette