On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 20:21 +0100, jdd wrote:
> Aniruddha wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 10:01 -0500, Bryen wrote:
>
> >> OpenSuse has alot of packages right out of the box.  But, SLED is
> >> stripped down to only support the needs of a typical corporate
> >> environment.
>
> and, may be the most important, the support of Novell is for all the
> included packages, not only the kernel :-). Of course, Novell can't
> support the many packages openSUSE hold.
>
> >> serious compatibility issues with MS documents.  Novell has tweaked
> >> their own version of oOo to be better compatible with MS document
> >> formats, and thus less complaints from users when they can't read/break
> >> an MS document emailed to them.
>
> is that true? I wonder why, in this case, the enhancement are not
> ported upward to ooo?

My understanding, the last time I read about this (maybe a year ago),
OpenOffice ships with macros disabled, whereas Novell ships with macros
enabled.  That's more of a philosophical difference than a technical
difference.  In which case, philosophies aren't upstreamed to the main
project.  It is more like a fork, although I wouldn't exactly call
Novell's OpenOffice a fork like other OpenOffice products that are out
there.
--
---Bryen---