On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 15:30 +0100, Aniruddha wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 09:12 -0500, Bryen wrote:
> > >
> > First of all, because it is clear you are using Evolution, please use
> > Ctrl+L when replying to a list post.  Otherwise, I (we) get a double
> > email from you.\
>
> Hey I always use CTRL+l only the last mail was a mistake :(
>
> > Now, What can Novell offer the small business environment?  Well, Novell
> > offers the Open WorkGroup Suite Small Business Edition.  This includes
> > OES, SLES, SLED, GroupWise, etc. for up to 200 users.  Cost: $350 per 5
> > users.  (That comes to $70 per user for 7 years of support - or roughly
> > $10 a year.)   Of course that is retail.  Going through your
> > distributor, you may be able to get even cheaper discounts.
> >
> > Pretty good bang for your buck if you ask me.
>
> That is great news! Are your sure this comes with 7 year support and not
> only one year? (The Novell website isn't working so I couldn't check for
> myself). That would be a very good deal!
>
> Do you happen to know if they have something like that for home users?

Well, Novell, as a business, is targeted towards corporate markets
rather than home markets.  For the home market, openSuse would be the
alternative.   I don't see Novell coming up with the wherewithal to set
up a tech support service that would be able to handle the influx of
home user support requests.  That's a huge undertaking and would divert
Novell's focus away from their current strategy.

Also, you need to remember that SLED isn't the same as openSuse.
OpenSuse has alot of packages right out of the box.  But, SLED is
stripped down to only support the needs of a typical corporate
environment.  There's less in there.   For example, the Apache2 package
isn't included with SLED, because quite frankly, should a corporate user
be running a webserver from his desk?  :-)

That's not to say you CAN'T install Apache2 to a SLED box.  It just
isn't on the DVD, that's all.

A stripped down, non-bloated, corporate-needs operating system has
significant advantages in desktop management and reduced troubleshooting
processes.

By the way, I also wanted to mention, another advantage of going the
Novell purchase route.  You get a better quality of OpenOffice
installation.  Sure you can get it for free from oo.org, but there are
serious compatibility issues with MS documents.  Novell has tweaked
their own version of oOo to be better compatible with MS document
formats, and thus less complaints from users when they can't read/break
an MS document emailed to them.

--
---Bryen---