Having got my v10.3 reinstalled after a reinstall gone awry, The result seems
to be in quite satisfactory condition, with nearly all software functions that
I need and want up and running. An exception is that I have not succeeded in
getting a Java plugin installed into Firefox.

Running <java -version> shows that the default JRE is v1.5.0_13-b05.
(Subdirectories of v1.4.2 and v1.6something are also present). In the v1.5
directory I see nothing suggesting anything useful for installing a plugin.

YaST > Software Management shows that there are uninstalled packages for
plugins for each of the the three Java releases. An attempt to d/l and install
any of them gets a lengthy error message, the gist of which seems to be either
(a) that there is no installer capable of installing them in my system
(x86_64), or (b) that I could install a 32bit package but that I must be warned
that this would involve a change of architecture. This is not helpful.

I am confused, because YaST knows that the this is a 64bit system and that the
JRE is a 64bit package, and it is also showing me 64bit packages. What exactly
is its problem?

And how can I get an appropriate Java plugin into Firefox?

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Helen n. (hel'-en) A unit of measurement useful in the shipbuilding industry.
One millihelen is the quantity of feminine beauty required to launch one ship.