I'm actually fairly strongly against maven. It's a huge project, and almost all of the websites produced by it have a cookie cutter feel to it. I also disagree with it being 'the way of the future'. It might be a fashionable choice for many OSS projects, but so are a lot of other things that have little beyond 'coolness' factor attached.

I have no objections to xdocs, as it'd actually be a useful relevant tool for the point at hand. Bringing in maven just to use xdocs though is like buying a house with toolshed attached when all you wanted is a screwdriver.

It's not a case of 'not invented here', it's a case of 'not jumping off the same lemming cliff that everyone else does, just because everyone else is'. A severe example of this is xdoclet. It's a great tool, I use it and rely on it completely. However, whenever I've tried working on bits of it to improve/contribute, I throw my arms up and give up, because it's so damn unwieldy. Having to installl maven just to read the cvs docs makes me very suspicious. Heck, someone even thought it necessary to internationalise the build messages! Featuritis gone mad, from where I stand (sorry Aslak!).

Webwork's beauty to me is precisely because I don't have to commit to 20 other jars just to get trivial stuff to happen. While that too might be 'the way of the future' (if you consider the future to be jakarta projects + jakarta project wannabes), it'd be a sad day for webwork to conform to that particular wave.

I know this argument has come up before, and I hope this thread doesn't degenerate into another flamefest (hilarious as I found the last one). So please take my comments for what they are; a heartfelt plea from the webwork user/occasional contributor gallery.