nt may have better mp support, at least until linux
2.4 comes out officially, but the real issue here is
probably the jvm.  the jvms in linux just haven't been
quite there, and surprisingly microsoft have had the
fastest jvms out there for quite some time.  in
determining whether to run on nt or linux the question
for me comes down to reliability.  since sp5 nt
doesn't slowdown or crash nearly as much as it used
to, but i can configure a linux 2.2 box with
practically no services on it except the jvm and
orion, and it essentially runs well forever (or at
least a few months) without trouble.  it is still
possible to crash nt, and i've even done so with a
win2k box.  there is usually so much junk on one of
those boxes that you cannot get rid of.

the new sun linux jvm is much faster than the old
blackdown ports, and the inclusion of the hotspot
server engine is pretty impressive.  we've been
running on linux 2-way machines (testing only) for
months now--found it fast and never experienced any
trouble.  i cannot recommend it more..

bradley mclain

--- "Holmes, George (TWIi London)"