Visual Cafe is rebranded as WebGain and sold by Bea.

My 2$cts: I use TextPad, which is pretty convenient for editing, compiling
and very fast and stable as you can't talk about bloat with that product (=
still an understatement). For the more complex build procedures I'm using
'ant', as it is the only tool I know off that can handle pretty complex
stuff.

I use Forte for debugging only. I can imagine you would opt for other
product, as it is not too fast and it crashes every now and then (though I
had more trouble with some of the other tools).

Not crashing is by the way also one of the TextPad virtues.

Checking for EJB compliance a.o.??? Doesn't the compiler do that?

Frank

On Monday, December 11, 2000 1:19 PM, J.T. Wenting
[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> JBuilder is an excellent tool, especially version 4. Previous versions
suffered from relatively poor performance and were prone to craching due to
the JVM leaking memory at an alarming rate. While no problem with JBuilder
per se, it did mean that JBuilder fell behind in the polls compared to IDEs
that are not pure Java.
> JDeveloper is indeed based on JBuilder, but on a very early version (2.0
I think, maybe even 1.0). I do not think the current version should be seen
as a direct clone of current JBuilder versions.

> I am using JBuilder for creating all kinds of Java apps, but not EJBs. We
use iPlanet webserver for deployment which does not support EJB, so I would
have nowhere to run them :) I tried getting Orion into the organization
here but corporate standards say iPlanet and Websphere...

> Ant is not an IDE, but rather a replacement for ye olde make. You could
look at Forte, but it is designed more for Swing GUIs with little support
for serverside apps, and suffers heavily from memory bloat and leakage.
> If anyone knows who currently markets Visual Cafe?
> I cannot recommend Visual Age for Java. It is huge, slow and a resource
hog (better not use it on any machine with <256MB RAM, more is better).
Also, I personally find the interface highly confusing and unintuitive. It
is also linked more or less completely with Websphere alone.