JBuilder 4 is quite nice.  Visual Cafe crashes all the time, I *definitely*
cannot recommend it.  JDeveloper is based off of JBuilder, but not the 4.0
version, so I probably couldn't recommend using that either.  All that being
said, I use a combination of 3 tools: Visual SlickEdit for editing, Ant for
building/packaging, and Karmira BugSeeker for debugging.  I've found that
Karmira will support whatever distributed debugging needs you have by using
remote debugging, and it's really quite a nice debugger, particularly for
the cost of only $200US.  As far as validation to the EJB specs (I assume
you mean generating the deployment descriptors), I really don't have much
experience in that arena, as I have been hand-coding all of mine so far.

Jason Boehle
[EMAIL PROTECTED]