Ummmm, this is a question which is burning for sometime now.

I certainly not intending to challenge, but I take this as an opportunity
to raise the question.

I understand the performance benefit of Stateless Session Beans (SLSB) over
Stateful Session Beans (SFSB): this benefit is caused by the fact that
pooling is easier for SLSBs.

Now the question:

How come so many people are keen on introducing SLSBs as a facade in front
of Entity Beans to improve the performance? The same code (plus a tid bit
extra) needs to be executed, the same pooling behavior is there for the
Entity Bean and yes the SLSB introduces little to no overhead, but I still
see no gain.

What benefits am I overlooking?

Pls. enlighten me,
FE