Thank elephantwalker,

I did exactly the same thing as you did (even unpacked the log4j-core.jar
file), that is, my ear file contains:
----
META-INF/
META-INF/application.xml
META-INF/orion-application.xml
META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
lib/
lib/org/apache/......
um-ejb.jar
----
And the orion-application.xml contains:
------
        <persistence path="persistence" />
         <library path="lib" />
        <principals path="principals.xml" />
--------
( I deployed it in the $ORION_HOME/applications dir)
But it keeps on complaining that it can't find a class called
"org/apache/log4j/PropertyConfigurator", which sure is there:
-----
bash-2.04$ cd lib/
bash-2.04$ ll org/apache/log4j/PropertyConfigurator.class
-rw-r--r--    1 program  web         10685 Jul  5 16:24
org/apache/log4j/PropertyConfigurator.class
------

I am getting (still) grazy. The ear file is 250k, and less if a kick out the
web.war file (containing the html stuff). Can someone deploy it and test it,
to have a look if the problem is in the Orion configuration on my side ??
Let me know, and I will send it.

The strange thing is, that when I put a no existence path in the  <lib.../ >
tag, Orion sure complaints that it can't find the file/directory, so it does
recognize the file, but then ???

Any idea's are welcome ?

:{