this tag works for me:

        <library path="lib" />

then, everything in the lib directory is picked up, if it is a class or jar.

The key bit is from where?

if your ear build structure looks like this:

/META-INF
/mywar.war
/myejbs.jar
/lib
/lib/com/somepackage/some.class

The lib directory referred to in the <library ... /> tag is the same as the
lib directory in the ear. You don't have to worry that people can navigate
to this directory, because there is no web-app called "lib" in your files.
We used this to put our own usermanager code in, and it worked fine. If you
had a jar file, I'm not sure that you would have to refer to it in the
libary tag. I think the key bit is WHERE you put the lib directory in the
ear file.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

the elephantwalker