-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Joseph
Ottinger
Sent: 24 March 2002 12:50
To: Orion-Interest
Subject: Re: idea=$395.00USD was: RE: Java IDE?

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, The Boss wrote:

> I usually build tools to build tools so I mostly can't "afford"
> to accept other people's design philosophies. Thus the tools of
> choice for me are the simplest because they have the least
> conceptual overhead.  Put it like this, I am NOT interested in
> making the most out of something like Idea, I AM interested
> in doing three or four or tens times BETTER than Idea in
> creating J2EE apps. Yes, I can use a tool like 'vi' to build the
> better stuff, but I can't use Idea to do better than Idea if you
> see what I mean. Like a dinosaur Idea has made its evolutionary
> commitment, as have the other dinosaurs of similar ilke. It
> sounds a lot better than JBuilder though for what it does ... it
> simply doesn't sound better than my tools ... ;)

Spoken (or typed) like a man who's used JBuilder and assumed IDEA's just
like it. IDEA doesn't write code for you unless you tell it to. And when
you tell it to, it writes the code you told it to. It doesn't generate
GUIs that suck. In fact, it doesn't generate GUIs at all. It's an editor.
A java editor. Not a crappy IDE like Netbeans or JBuilder. Not an editor
with Java features, like VSE or Emacs (both of which I've more than a
passing familiarity with.) It's an editor whose designers said, "What do
Java people need to do?" and the editor enables that. It doesn't require
the developer to do things. It enables the developer, and gets out of the
way.

Sorry for the caustic tone, but it sounds like you're rendering judgement
without a clue, based on price and misconceptions.