At 12:18 AM 3/24/2002, you wrote:
>You can't afford $400?!? where the hell are all you
>cheap bastards working that you can't scrape up $400?
>I think you all need to focus a little harder on
>working and spending less time looking at porn; then
>maybe you could get a job that would afford you a
>salary that gives you disposable income.... I could
>come up with $400 in two months just by bringing lunch
>to work from home...
>
>IDEA has rediculously high ROI. And it's normally high
>productivity is skyrocketed if you are refactoring
>because of all the advanced refactoring features it
>has.
>
>IDEA was written by people who apparently actually use
>the editor they're selling. JBuilder is probably used
>for JBuilder, too, but look at how long it takes
>Borland to crank out new useless features; Intellij
>does it every week.
>
>to sum it up: get a job that pays well you slackers!
>(or at least cut down on the ammount you spend on porn
>every month)
>
>Noah

I have to agree Noah, I won't work for anyone that does not have the budget
for tools, that means they don't have the budget to afford me.
Then again I have been a Senior Systems Architect for 8 years now, and have
worked on large enterprise scale projects for 10 years now.
Personally having at least ONE license for Together from TogetherSoft is a
requirement for me to take a job.
I have not used IDEA because I have lots of custom modules I have created
for Together and just have not seen the need, I may download it and
try it out, even though I don't need " new useless features every week "
once a year like Borland does is fine for me ;-)

Personally I use LOTS of tools for different tasks.

1. SlickEdit can not be beat for pounding out quicky command line tools in
any language, its support for "code insight" is un-matched in any IDE esp
for Java. It is awesome for cranking out straight C/C++ that use a command
line interface also. For projects with hundreds of classes in dozens of
packages it does get a little cumbersome. That is when I use
Together.  IDEA looks like the closest competitor that SlickEdit has right
now so I would probably say if you don't like SlickEdit then consider IDEA.

2. Together is a MUST for anything that is close to enterprise wide
development and has multiple developers, code trees, or any kind of
complexity, I only work on extemely large scale projects, that usually have
legacy code that has to be dug thru to port to a J2EE container. The key to
together is the SEEMLESS round trip engineering and code generation from
diagram to code and back again, and seemless integrations with other
external editors ( I tend to use SlickEdit as the editor for Together
).  If you don't "GET" the value of a tool like Together you are not doing
serious development.

There is a FREE community edition for Together with no time limits and most
of the "useless features" removed. If you try it and don't understand what
it brings to the development cycle of real world enterprise development
efforts you got a ways to go in your career.

3. JBuilder is great for "cowboy" programming for small shops where you and
only you have to work on a code base ( ala Visual Basic ), the new 6
version has one of the prettiest UML diagram generators I have ever seen,
but the it does have some things I don't like. I like to use it for GUI
based applications and things that need a RAD style developement  cycle (
ala VB again ). JBuilder support ANY JDK version unlike the uniformed want
to say, all these tools support any JDK, I am using 1.4 in EVERY tool
mentioned in this letter with NO PROBLEMS.

In my experience people that complain about the price of tools or say that
vi is all they need either aren't working on real world enterprise projects
or are not real world programmers, ANYTHING that can increase my
productivity is worth buying, simply because my TIME is worth MORE than
anything else, it is priceless. If you worked on some of the projects I
have in the last 6 years you would understand how silly all this vi and
emacs and the jdk is all you need rehtoric is.

Every minute I SAVE by using a tool gives me a minute to spend with my
wife, family, riding my motorcycles, recording music, working on my movie,
sleeping or anything else, you get the idea.

To paraphrase a shampoo commerical "yeah Together is expensive, but I am
worth it"! I mean if you suck at playing guitar you a crappy guitar will
do, because no matter how much the guitar costs, you will still suck. If
you don't have any good program design skills then the most expensive IDE
will not make your program designs any better. But they will make someone
that knows what they are doing work MUCH faster and be more effective.

So anyone that chants the "FREE mantra" keep using Tomcat and Vi and all
the other "free" crap because in the end it will cost you HUNDREDS TIMES
more than buying a proper tool and saving money over the long haul. Then
again if you are lowballing jobs, and working on crappy little projects all
this is moot, why are you using Orion then, why not use JBoss or any of the
other FREE EJB containers. I mean you "COULD" move a mountian with a
plastic spoon, hell they are FREE at every fast food joint, but would'nt a
sane and reasonable person spend the money on real earth moving equipment
and get the job done quickly so they could move on to the next paying job
moving the next mountain.

Free development tools that are worth using is a very short list.

1. ANT ( use it to build all my C/C++ projects now! )
2. CVS ( even thou I prefer more sophisticated packages for larger teams as
CVS is hell to maintain once you get over 6 - 8 developers )
3. Apache web server ( it is a known quanity and fairly low maintance once
it is intitally set up )