Hello,

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Trajce Nikolov NICK <
trajce.nikolov.n...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi community,
>
> I have succeeded building and installing the sample GL ES1/2 samples on
> android and when I try to run it, it starts, it shows the buttons and
> immediately it goes away (close without complaining).

Have a look at the part of the OSG documentation about the Neon instruction
support. If you are running the code on a device with a Tegra 2 chipset
(maybe some others), then it will cause this type of crash because that
instruction set isn't supported on Tegra 2. Either compile for the version
5 ABI ("armeabi" - which doesn't use Neon) or disable the Neon instruction
set according to the instructions in the doc.

> I went thru the code and I am not seeing where the models are loaded (or
> is it interactive via menu or such).

It is interactive, in the menu you have load model, then you type the path
to the model file into a popup window (.ive) there, e.g.
/mnt/sdcard/cube.ive. If everything goes well, the model will load and
display.

> Please note I know OSG to some point but new to mobile device development
> so please talk to me as to a child on this. Shell I copy the models
> somewhere so they are loaded?

For the demos you should likely put the models somewhere on the sdcard
because you will have to enter that path in the file loading dialog.

> What is the assets folder for?

That folder contains additional files (assets), such as models, sounds,
icons, etc. that get packaged into the application APK and installed with
it when you install the application. Then you can access them from the Java
code using handles. Don't put your models there, it isn't possible to
directly load files from C++ code using that folder. Well, strictly
speaking it is possible, but it requires some major hacking to "discover"
the Linux filesystem path of the folder before you can access files there.

Have a look at the Android SDK documentation, it explains what are these
various folders for and how an Android application works. Starting mobile
app development with OSG as your first project is a really terrible idea
due to the complexity - try some of the SDK examples first, then the
examples from the NDK so that you understand how things fit together.

 Regards,

Jan