Jan Ciger wrote:

> Oh careful there.

Not my words, I was only quoting the author of the videos.

Jan Ciger wrote:
> What he is actually showing is the effect of the asynchronous timewarp - if
> you can't hit the framerate, you reproject/warp the previous frame. That's a
> fairly new thing which required the driver support - you need to preempt the
> current rendering command stream if you aren't going to hit the target and
> re-project the old frame.
>
> The original idea of timewarping was to reduce the apparent tracking latency
> by warping the rendered image to match the tracking data late in the frame.
> That is what I was referring to - I doubt the latency reduction in the case
> of positional tracking is worth the effort, because the tracker is running at
> a comparable/same speed as your application.

In the "Oculus Rift Developer Guide" you will not find a word about
asynchronous time warp. They are only saying that the compositing framework is
handling distortion, timewarp, and GPU synchronization, whatever that incurs...

I don't know if this means that Oculus currently are doing pure "original
timewarp", pure "asynchronous timewarp" or a combination of the two (since its
all happening inside the closed source part of the Oculus SDK). But the feature
shown in the videos is currently available.

/Björn