Just a simple thought here:  I have almost never as a facilitator sorted or
combined any kind of brainstormed list for participants.  I find that they are
really good at doing whatever sorting and combining is needed themselves,
sometimes with a minor prompt, and sometimes with no prompting at all.
Sometimes sessions combine very naturally if people understand they can do
that.  I am not always a believer that human social emergence processes are
entirely like non-human natural emergence processes (because we have more
agency and capacity for self-reflection as a form of systems feedback than most
natural systems), but in this case, it is almost like the ways that over the
timeframe of evolution simpler organisms combine together to form higher
complexity organisms.

John