FWIW, here's my version of how to get OSM updated.
OSM is the map data source - eg
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/51.9263/4.4692
You don't need a login to add a note.  As a beginner you can do this:-
Browse around or search to find your required location.
Go to the menu on the right hand side. Go down to "Layers" - Left click.
Select "Map notes".  A whole lot of markers will appear.  These are
people's notes, mostly useful, but some rubbish.
Have a look at some of the notes, then identify the location you need the
edit.
In the right-hand side menu, select "Add a note" (second from bottom, ie
above the "?").  A blue location marker appears.  Push it to where you want
it.  Add your text in the panel on the left.
Someone will subsequently verify your comment and make the edit.
It then takes a while for the edit to be available for download to your
device.
I'm inclined to leave my notes for anyone to comment (or ignore), then if
no-one makes the actual edit, I do it a few weeks later.

If you now zoom in, un-tick “Map Notes” on the right, and tick “Map Data”.
(Don’t do it till you’ve zoomed in quite a lot otherwise you’ll have to
wait ages for all the data to load).
You’ll now see a load of blue lines, etc.  These indicate the existence of
all the data for map features.
If you left click on any one, you will see the associated data which
displays on the map in your phone, etc.
Left click any blue line/circle/etc, and you’ll see the description on the
left. eg “Post Office”, Village Stores”, “convenience”, etc.

Lesson over!
Paul W