On Jun 22, 2012 6:16 AM, "sahil sharma" <sharmasahil0...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> This is for configuration changes, not rules:
>> Your choice. If you want to use the agent.conf change it there. If you
>> have a good change management system, changing the ossec.conf might be
>> good enough.
>>
>> The OSSEC server does not use the agent.conf though, so if you're
>> setting up something for the OSSEC server it'll have to be in that
>> system's ossec.conf.
>>

>     (1)    I have added following code to >var>ossec>etc>shared>agent.conf

As is documented in the full_command documentation, this has to go in the
agent's ossec.conf. I apologize, I forgot about this restriction.

>         <agent_config os="Windows">
>
>   <localfile>
>     <log_format>full_command</log_format>
>     <command>reg QUERY
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR</command>
>     <alias>usb-check</alias>
>   </localfile>
>
> </agent_config>
>
> (2) Created following rule in  >var>ossec>rules>local_rules.xml :
>
> <rule id="140125" level="7">
>
>   <if_sid>530</if_sid>
>   <match>ossec: output: 'usb-check':</match>
>   <check_diff />
>   <description>New USB device connected</description>
>
> </rule>
>
> Resouce:-http://www.ossec.net/doc/faq/alerts.html (nothing here has been
clearly mentioned hat where we have to make the changes actually. Please
update)

The documentation about full_command mentions ossec.conf. I don't think
this needs to be repeated.

>> The rule won't be pushed to the agents. The
>> /var/ossec/etc/shared/agent.conf will be. Make sure that file is up to
>> date on the agent (if it's Windows it's probably c:\program
>> files\ossec\shared\agent.conf or something).
>>

>> Do you have email alerts enabled? I not, check the alerts.log file on
>> the server. I don't trust the WUI.
>>

>  /var/ossec/etc/shared/agent.conf has been correctly pushed to windows
client. Both
> client and server has total 12 files(after adding above 2 changes)
in /var/ossec/etc/shared/