I agree with the posts. The decision to do group must be based upon medical
necessity (i.e. benefits of a group versus individual treatments) and this
must be documented.
Billing:

1. Part As: Group done no more than 25% of total time spent per week.(E.g:
Pt. in very high category receiving a total of 500 minutes, time spent on
group should not exceed 125 minutes)
2. Part Bs: No restriction on no. of groups except 'based on medical
necessity'
3. 'Supervised' sessions may be done with Part As (different from groups)
which are not counted toward group minutes (limited to 2 patients per
session)
4. If you have 1 Part A (or other payor source) and 1 Part B in 'supervised'
session, Part B must be coded at group therapy (any time you see Part B with
any other patient, no matter what payor source) the part B is coded as a
group, the Part A gets individual minutes (as it is a 'supervised' session
for him/ her). Part B may not be coded as group therapy only if one is on a
supervised modality and then you code the supervised modality HCPCS/ CPT.
5. Code for group therapy: 97150
6. If part session was group and part was one on one (e.g. : Therapeutic
Exercises): Code 97150 (for group, a service based code) and 97110-59 (97110
a time based code + modifier 59 to show that it was exclusively provided)
7. With Part As, if you have them in a group session , each patient is
alloted the total treatment time (4 patients in a group session of 30
minutes, each gets 30 minutes toward RUG minutes)
8. No more than 4 patients in a group to 1 therapist

Joe