Agreed.  We use nmap2mysql to build initial databases, then selectively
import into the CMDB.  The next evolutionary step would be an OTRS CMDB
client agent.

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Leonardo Certuche <
leonardo.certu...@itconsultores.com.co> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We happen to be partners of both OTRS and OCS Inventory.
> Please keep in mind that auto-populating your CMDB using a discovery tool
> will lead to an out of control configuration management process.
>
> What we do is the following: we get the inventory from OCS, export it to
> CSV, and then import it to OTRS using the ImportExport feature. That way
> you'll have an starting point for your CMDB and any change you perform after
> that should be done by hand either through the change process or the
> configuration process. I know it sounds too manual but that way you'll keep
> control on the changes performed to your configuration items.
>
> Regards,
>
> Leonardo Certuche
> www.itconsultores.com.co
> Medellín, Colombia
>

> On 27 April 2011 14:25, Michiel Beijen <michiel.bei...@otrs.com> wrote:
>
>> Would be great to have! Currently we don't have anything like this,
>> you can however import inventory data from discovery tooling into the
>> CMDB.
>>
>> What's the best discovery tool (preferably open source) that people
>> are using? Comments from the list are welcome!
>> --
>> Mike
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 5:42 PM, GARDAIS Ionel
>> <ionel.gard...@tech-advantage.com> wrote:
>> > Hi list,
>> >
>> > We give a try to OCS Inventory to collect datas about the computers we
>> manage.
>> > We ran into a few problems that led me to drop this tool …
>> >
>> > Then I discovered OTRS for ticket requests : stable, efficient, all
>> good.
>> > I installed the ITSM package on a test system and was wondering if a
>> plateform plugin exists to automatically register a computer and update its
>> features into ITSM ?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Ionel

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a
hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build
a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate,
act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A Heinlein