Dear all, Mike,

of course as a Consultant I am very process focused, sometimes close to oversee
the usability in terms of tool handling speeds =) =) =)

Just kidding ... I really recommend to keep the insertion of new CIs a manual
procedure. Of course, if you have a CVS file or such, and you have reviewed the
content and verified against process related data (keep in mind that you can
have multiple CMDBs) a mass-import of new CIs is ok. Also the mass-update, as
long as you know the content of the mass-update.

If you just want to insert “a few similar” CIs, lets say 6 new blades, I still
recommend to insert them by hand, using the “Duplicate” action once the first
CI has been created.

And another dogma: no CI creation, deletion or modification w/o a Change
request or a full Change!

I like and give +1 for your idea to have the option of getting a kind of
differences view BEFORE inserting or updating. Also the option to decide if a
mass-insert/update should only update existing CI or also create new CIs if no
dataset matches an existing CI.

The integration of third party tools is a milestone that is just in front of
our door, looking at the Generic Interface implementation in OTRS 3.1.x! I
would love to see OTRS customers to share their function requirement
specifications about connectors to Microsoft® ActiveDirectory®, LANDesk®, other
OTRS CMDBs, SAP® Asset Management platforms, etc ...

Mike, that is what I think =)

Cheers, Nils