I finally gave up, nuked the machine and reinstalled.

Someone pointed out that Turnkey is an old version.

I used Turnkey because it is a very lightweight install.

It doesn't saddle me with a ton of cruft.

I DID however run aptitude upgrade and it freshened everything that DID get
installed,

So Im no longer running such an ancient version.

Im purposely not doing a lot of setting up until I get mail working.

Our central mail server runs ESMTP which thwarts normal mail installs and it
took me weeks to figure out how

to make a server exchange mail with it.  I finally managed to make sasldb
authenticate it successfully on other servers.

This machine is proving a challenge.

On my other machines, machines that send just need to have a sasl_passwd
hash and saslauthd running to work.

The few machines that send have fetchmail to retrieve.

>From what I can tell, I should have OTRS handle this via its own internal
cron system and NOT a crontab entry under /var/spool/cron ?

One of the things driving me mad is an error in the mail logs about no valid
method which USUALLY meant I misspelled "plaintext" in
/etc/default/saslauthd but this time that is not the case and Im baffled.

Ive been trying off and on a few months now.

Each time its something different, it never works, and I get disgusted and
pout it away a few weeks before trying again.

Im almost frustrated enough to throw in the towel and just use a Microsoft
product which will probably work 1st crack out of the bag.  Id really rather
use open source, but Im running out of time & patience.