On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 10:59 PM, Greg Keogh <g...@mira.net> wrote:

> Chaps,****
>
> ** **
>
> Andrew and Stephen, if you have become productive on Win8, then I am
> tempted to pay you for tutorials. Do have a specific example of familiar
> daily tasks that work in some superior way? What’s this “pinning” you like,
> can I try it?****
>
> ****
>
> I hadn’t thought about the corporate training side issues. Lord knows how
> this will be rolled out in big companies The mind boggles at getting the
> carbon blobs from sector 7G to upgrade and get back to work.****
>
> ** **
>
> As a programmer mostly on web and desktop for the moment I’m really
> worried about conventions and standards. For decades I’ve had UI guidelines
> and conventions about usability and how apps should look and feel and not
> frighten users. Then WPF came along and everything went rubbery. Now Win8
> has come along and everything is melting jelly. How the hell am I supposed
> to write an app that runs nicely in Win8? Are there any guidelines?
> Multi-OS targeting issues!? These and a zillion other on-the-ground
> questions about writing real-world apps now.

Quite interesting questions, especially Multi-os targeting.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> I’m am utterly bewildered where Microsoft is going both artistically and
> practically. Perhaps I will be less irritable and confused if someone could
> explain in clear developer’s geeky technical practical terms why Win8 looks
> like it does and how I am supposed to respond to it. Any links anyone?****
>
> **

It looks like an OS for toddlers.

> **
>
> The list of points that Ian posted are quite sharp. I also wondered why
> apps are full screen (on my bloody great screen), where the app menus
> /options/etc and close buttons are. All of the familiar paradigms that are
> arguably necessary in software have vanished or moved. I mean, every app
> needs “options” of some sort, and needs to be closed (unless I’ve woken up
> in the 23rd century and everything has changed utterly). I eventually
> managed to join my Domain somehow, but why demand a Live login up front?
> Alt+anykey or other weird keystrokes will do something random (like 1980s
> word processors). Moving the mouse around is like exploring in a maze.
> Hitting Windows key flips between completely different modes, like I’m
> running two totally different operating systems at once.****
>
> ** **
>
> Overall, I’m bewildered and angry at being reduced to a bumbling
> incompetent despite 35 years experience on dozens of platforms, it’s like
> the designers of Win8 had bets on who could invent to most
> counter-intuitive tricks and traps possible to obfuscate everything as a
> gargantuan practical joke (like the Office ribbon). I’m also angry as a
> developer because I have no clear direction now about what to learn or what
> to use for Win8 (if it matters!). The future of Windows software
> development has become really muddy.****
>
> ** **
>
> As Homer Simpson said, “it’s my first day”, so perhaps by next week I’ll
> be struck by a techno-epiphany and apologise for what I’ve said.****
>
> ** **
>
> Greg****
>
> ** **
>
> P.S. My favourite example of Win8 bafflement is trying to figure out how
> to shut the damn thing down. I leave that as an exercise for the reader.**
> **

Kill the VM it's running in.  Noone will run it on a real machine.

--
Meski

 http://courteous.ly/aAOZcv

"Going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. Sure,
you'll get it, but it's going to be rough" - Adam Hills