Hi Greg,

I feel you pain. I get that suddenly everything being different can throw
you, especially when, as you said, when struggling for consistency.

Tonight I rebuilt my home desktop. An evening of firsts for me. My first 6
core/12 thread cpu. My first LGA2011 motherboard. My first water cooled cpu
fan. I put in a new motherboard and cpu, and an extra graphics card. So
that gives me three graphics cards in there. There’s another slot on the
motherboard I could put one more gfx card in but the case doesn't have the
back slots for it... so I’d have to get a new case if I want to do that.
Would run it in SLI x 3 but the connector they gave me don't fit the cards.
a trip to the computer shop to pick one up hopefully.

When I booted my machine after putting in new cpu and motherboard, the old
Win 7 didn't boot. Ah well it was only installed a few weeks ago so I
decided to install Windows 8 (partly after reading todays thread, but
mainly because I could!)

Drivers of my old graphics cards were automatically detected. the new
graphics card (an Asus) wasn’t recognised. I tried the win7 drivers on asus
website but that didn't work. Then I saw a windows update actually had a
new driver waiting for it. I installed that and it failed. So  I downloaded
the Nvidia Windows 8 driver, installed that and now all three screens are
working nicely.

Loving the speed at which this thing boots up. Installing windows 8 was so
fast I looked away and thought it had failed. Wasn't until I realised that
it had rebooted from the usb drive again that it had finished. I swear it
was less than 10 minutes.

I’m typing this email into the email client that I pointed at my google
account. Yes everything feels really big, because all the apps are full
screen. I can jump to the desktop and install apps or whatever so all the
old PC desktop stuff is still there.

If you want to pin something first you find it via typing (search will
appear when you press a letter) and right click the tile. Menu down the
bottom gives pin to start option. That will give you a tile so you don't
have to go looking for it. Drag it around to where you want it. Right click
the ones you don't want and unpin them.

This is beta software. I’ve seen the screen go all pink a couple of times
and locked up. It might go better when I’ve got that SLI connector, or when
the drivers are no longer beta. It seems really slick and this is on a
machine with no touch screen.

I did see a preview of a new tablet from Asus that has a laptop keyboard
and a screen on both sides of the lid. Designed for windows 8. It looks
sweet. Kinda bummed out I just bought this dell xps 13 but it might be
months before the new ones come out. I’ll be due for a new toy by then! lol

Hang in there Greg. I think you’ll find things more usable. Less on the
screen, means more focused. You can still task switch (mouse top left
and the tasks spring up). As for powering off... control-alt-delete and
there’s a big off button bottom right.

If you don't get this, the email client crashed on me. I’ll not be typing
it again. :)
cheers,
Stephen
(on the bleeding edge)