|Win7 is adequate or better for desktops, Win 8 is less so.

Nope. That you think that is the problem with the detached start menu
experience.

|All of theses are somewhat hacks to make it perform like the previous version.

They are design changes, and yes they would make the transition to the newer UI
features smoother for those coming from win 7. The goal of win 8 is mighty as
it tries to find that point of convergence between different form factors. I
think they've overshot the mark a bit and need to tune it back to a happier
medium.