The article is a bit old, but still relevant. The dotnet cli was not a
temporary solution until VS2017 supported the features, for most people who
are developing greenfields it should be their go to solution. Personally I
find using VS2017 for Angular or similar is really a legacy way of doing
things when your back end and front end are tightly coupled, and if you are
fitting a new front end to an existing product probably makes sense. I
would use VSCode every day of the week given the choice though.

Craig