Hi Jo, was going to reply off list, but thought nuh, I'll reply listwise.
This is too important an issue to go underground about.

Mothers talking about mothering are NEVER 'gushers'. This is one of the big
challenges we have these days in our capitalist, patriarchal culture.
Mothering is such a non valued life path, mothers apologise for mothering
:-(  The issues/concerns and pleasures/wins of mothers need to be in neon
lights and on the front pages of media.  Please avoid the twit feeling :-)
it is such a delight to hear about babies being fed so well and mothers
enjoying it. It is pure joy to my ears...er...eyes.

Also, an indictment of our culture that the clinic 'sister' was "astounded"
that it was breastmilk and not solids :-(  just goes to show what a sorry
state we are in...

sigh

and it gives us lots of ideas of what to do to change things for the
better... and people like you are the ones that can help to turn things
around... for instance, never ever apologise for mothering...I've heard so
many women say "I'm only a mother". Another indictment of our culture.

I dream of the day when mothering is economically visible and is factored
into the GNP, because, as Marilyn Waring says in "if women counted"
'everytime I see a mother with an infant, I know I am seeing a woman at
work' - and what vital, pivotal, important work it is, raising a new member
of society.

And in terms of when to introduce solids?  From my observation (over many
many years with various cultural groups, including hippy types :-)  the
young ones reach out and grab for food when they want it and it is then
giving them solids is irresistable.  I love the way that children watch very
closely, with greater and greater interest, as their mother/father eats,
their eyes following the food from plate to mouth... and then one day!  The
grab is on....

like everything else to do with bodies and cycles and development, the body
knows, the baby knows and the mother knows too :-)

Good on you Jo and thanks for sharing with us, you have made my day. warmly,
Carolyn Hastie
PS, Heartily endorse Pinky's comment about the osteopath and those
chiropractic folk who do cranio sacral work with babies, they are fantastic
with all sorts of things for newborns, have seen magic happen with all sorts
of 'conditions'.