Hear! hear! Carolyn,
The work of mothering IS important - Jo , you are teaching your baby to
love!! Nurturing and nourishing him with the best! Lucky baby! Be as soppy
as you like - I wish there were more women out there sending positive mother
stories far and wide -Instead. like the birth stories, we hear all the
negatives -how hard it all is, not how beautiful it can be.

Marilyn Waring was a brilliant young politician when I was living in
Hamilton, NEw Zealand years ago -where is she now, I wonder?

Ditto about the reaching out - I once had a school crossing lady  ask about
my (then) 6month old -she was petite (and still is ) How old 's ya baby?
then, "what does she eat?" I replied "breastmilk" . This woman asked me
"doesnt she even eat baby food". Flabberghasted I answered -"mothers milk IS
baby food!" This woman whom I didnt know from a bar of soap then proceeded
to tell me how her sisters neighbours baby was the same age as mine and even
eating CHops!!! and sausages!! and she was TWICE the size of mine - After
this conversation, for at least an hour or so, I felt I should perhaps offer
"food" to this child who sat up on my lap at mealtimnes anyway (in spite of
the fact she was my 3rd child -after two strapping boys and a clinic sister
who assured me she didnt believe my second child ONLY had breastmilk).

I slowly realised how people's commments can sow the seeds of doubt and sat
back and waited just as I had with the big fat boys - the food was available
but this little madam of mine who was crawling all over etc etc utterly
refused to taste solids until she was 11 months.

I had all sorts of funny comments about that, including insinuations that I
was finding it hard to "let go" .

Now she's a big girl, living away from home (22) and that was such a short
time in our lives.

I say, get all the cuddles and give them all the "booby" they want - the two
greatest gifts we can give our kids are "roots and wings".

Pinky