I would just like to say we try to have the babies in recovery with the mum, unfortunately it does depend on staffing (the recovery nurses are not midwives), but we do know it is optimal and really try for it to happen. often a lactation consultant goes down to recovery with mum and baby.  Needless to say it doesn't always happen. And everyone reacts very differently to surgery, for some women they are ready to have their baby in recovery, others just aren't, some babies come out ready for a big feed and others seem quite stunned by it all and everything in between. Having just had a day surgery myself (much more minor than a c/s) I have to take my hat off to women b/f in recovery.

marilyn
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 2:54 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] babies in recovery room

I was just curious to know if it is normal practice for newborn babies to be in recovery with their Mums after a ceasarian.... I noticed they had the baby in with the mother on the Today show this morning... and wondered if it was for television,
as I remember when I stayed with my husband in recovery after leg surgery a couple of years .... a woman was in there after her caesarian - for some time - no baby in sight....therefore a very long and sad separation for mother and baby in those crucial first moments....
i'd love to hear others experiences...
kind regards,
Nicole

ps. did the new mother appear cool and detached from the whole experience, to everyone else watching?? would have loved to have seen the difference in her responses following a homebirth.....