We have 4 children - one did not co-sleep and three have. Our one year old
is in a bed beside ours to give us extra space. Our relationship is stronger
than it has ever been. My partner is very content with our arrangement that
we developed together. He enjoys having the baby beside him at night. his
view is that he gets to spend so little time with the kids during the day
there is something special about having her cuddle up to us at night.

In terms of sex, well, frankly, it is not the highlight of our life at the
moment. Not because we are co-sleeping but because I am breastfeeding and am
never particularly interested during that time. Is it an issue for us? I
have to say not at all. We are intimate, just not at it like rabbits. We
have been together now for 17 years and our relationship has never been
stronger. My husband has a wonderfully close relationship with all our kids
which is not specifically to do with co-sleeping. Co sleeping is part of a
whole package of how we choose to bring our children up.

If we had the baby in a separate room I really don't believe we would be any
more intimate. If I was up for several hours each night trying to settle the
baby it certainly would not do anything for our relationship. We feel that
for us, me being exhausted all the time would put additional stress on our
relationship.

He has always managed to "sleep" through the kids crying and has never been
keen on pacing the floor with them. If anything, if I had to do the settling
while I watched him sleep I would be resentful towards him which would cause
more problems.

This is a formula that works for us. Not one I would advocate for anybody
else.Knowing what works for your children and your relationship is what is
important here. Not some prescription that should work universally for
everybody.

Nikki Macfarlane

----- Original Messa
ge -----