Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 12:04 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Trial of Scar

One thing I have seen a lot of is Obs stating in the operative notes that uterus was 'very thin' or 'translucent' and using this as justification for the repeat c/s
One lady recently was wanting vbac very badly - came in in early labour i.e. not really established, at T+10. Got ARM'd - 2cms dilated, mec liquor ( not unusual post dates) CTG'd - nothing sinister on the trace, but a few hours later was told she needed c/s for fetal distress!  Still not even in established labour, and I could see no evidence of fetal distress on the trace.  The ob wrote 'translucent lower segment' on the notes.
Apart from the total b.s. of her needing a repeat c/s this was so obviously a decision made by the ob without her understanding or ability to question his decision ( I was not there - talked about it with a colleague and we looked through the notes).  Result is a woman who feels very aggrieved and disempowered.
If she had had more knowledge and support she may well have had the ability to say no to the ARM and continuous monitoring, question what was deemed to be fetal distress on the monitor, and even not come in that early in her labour or go home again to establish.  Instead she has had a second uneccessary c/s and is heading for a second bout of PND.
Anyone have any comments on these 'thin lower segment' claims?  My belief is that it is probably a normal state for the lower segment but 'they' see it as a sign of imminent rupture (of course if they weren't about to slice into it they wouldn't be able to see how thin it was)

On a slightly different tack - can anyone point me to the latest thinking with active vaginal herpes lesions?  Automatic c/s, or is there an alternative option?

TIA Sue