On Friday, February 04, 2011 Alen Peacock wrote:
> ...a global ad-hoc wireless network would spring
> from something like MIT's RoofNet
> (http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/roofnet/doku.php).

Yes; in fact, what would make it an instant killer app is the fact
that half (if not more) of global P2P traffic would instantly drop
from the backbone, disappearing into the local meshes, with hopefully
a majority of data requests being satisfied by the local caches made
out of mesh nodes local storage.

That would not only decrease the load on the backbone and anonymize
the traffic, hiding it inside local nets, but also increase the P2P
client average throughput, making it possible to stream movies in
real time and whatnot - which is a killer app in itself. Actually,
David Barret had already suggested something like that recently:

http://blog.quinthar.com/2011/01/how-piracy-will-hyperlocalize-with-mesh.html

- albeit with software radio instead of the existing wi-fi hardware.

So David, since this mesh hyperlocalization was your own idea, I'm
not sure - why would you suggest that ther's no compelling value in
mesh networks, even with normally functioning  Internet? Except for
this pesky ubiquitous wi-fi encryption, of course...

Best wishes -
S.Osokine.
4 Feb 2011.