Bob Harris wrote:
> I thought we went through this fruitless discussion on what
> constitutes a small world already. I use the term in the same sense as
> Barabasi, Strogatz and Kleinberg. Kleinberg is the only one who has a
> tight, formal definition (albeit in a highly idealized grid), but if
> that's too restrictive for your taste,

The only thing these three models have in common is the small diameter
and high clustering.

> I'm happy to include any
> unstructured overlay where the edges are selected at random and the
> number of edges per node is relatively small in number.

Small-world network is a graph-theoretic term, it has nothing to do with
overlays. You can use these terms to describe the graph formed by an
overlay, regardless if it is structured or not.

> I didn't know what a clustering coefficient was. I looked it up and it
> seems like a pointless metric. If you are lumping CAN/Chord/Pastry
> with Gnutella/Freenet, you are doing something wrong.

Just because a term applies to two things doesn't mean they are the
same. I would "lump" them all as distributed. What is wrong with that?

Where would use place "Symphony" [1] btw? A very structured DHT, but
based directly on Kleinberg's model.

// oskar

[1] http://www-db.stanford.edu/~manku/papers/03usits-symphony/