One point that perhaps was touched upon but not covered well is that
usefulness of not only documentaiton but success stories in "Enterprise
Perl".  The other point was the lack of marketing capability that Perl has
as well.

To further this, I am not sure if this would be useful but....

What might be nice (but perhaps too overreaching) is an area of P5EE where
people can submit success stories and that they be categorized in P5EE
categories and a few other search fields in case someone wants to show
their organization who not only successfully used Perl, but also
successfully used it in the context they need it (eg web services, web app
architecture, caching, template, etc)

For example:

Title: Banking Portal
P5EE Categories: Web Services, Web Application Framework, Persistent Perl
Engine, Templates, Middleware

Details:

Web Service Implementation: SOAP::Lite 5.0
Web Application Framework: SmartWorker 3.0
Persistent Perl Engine: mod_perl 2.0
Template System: Template Toolkit 10.0
Middleware: POE 20.0, CORBA

Abstract:

SmartWorker has succcessfully deployed Banking Portal for ZitiBank.com
using Perl's "Enterprise" tools satisfying 20 gazillion hits a day and
being developed in a record 1 week's time! An open web services
architecture allows other banks to integrate seamlessly to the portal and
has propelled Zitibank to the forefront of banking compared to the other
poor sap's using Microsoft in their portals.

Details:

fdfsdf

---

To some degree, this goes beyond a P5EE initiative and is perhaps something
that could be extended as a general advocacy initiative, but have a
searchable database of advocacy stories would be nice as well as one place
to go for those stories. People like Perrin have done a huge service by
writing up their success story of eToys or Ask about his ValueClick days.

But these seem to me, to be "prose" and you have to kind of search around
for the story. So Perl.com publishes these things as formal
'articles'.  And mod_perl has some success stories. But these things are
distributed a bit.

It would be nicer if mod_perl stories could point to something like
p5ee.org (or perladvocacy.org) /cgi-bin/search_success?category=mod_perl

And SOAP::Lite success stories could be a link to the same database like

/cgi-bin/search_success?category=web_services&subcategory=soap_lite

etc...

The idea being that one place becomes known for being the place for people
to dump and search success stories. Perhaps a CPAN extension would also be
conceivable. If the stories are submitted to CPAN in an XML structure
defining the search fields then maybe a CPAN search could also search
success stories for example.

At 01:24 AM 7/31/2002, Leon Brocard wrote:
>Well, we had a BOF at OSCON and thanks to everyone who came. I'm
>afraid I was a little tired by this time and may have been a little
>negative, but here are a couple of things discussed:
>
>Why do we want p5ee? To make more money and make it easier to get a
>job.
>
>What is the easier way to get p5ee? Spend millions on marketing.
>
>Where it is now? Nowhere.
>
>Where are IT decisions made? By CTOs on the golf course.
>
>Is J2EE any good? No, but it's a standard of sorts.
>
>etc. etc.
>
>to be honest we went around in circles, but an opinion is that perhaps
>we shouldn't rewrite huge codebases without an aim but instead give
>the P5EE stamp to high quality CPAN modules instead, eg DBI,
>Cache::Cache, .... (this is where we got stuck).
>
>Did I miss any other points? Any opinions?
>
>Leon
>--
>Leon Brocard.............................http://www.astray.com/
>scribot.................................http://www.scribot.com/
>
>.... "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." - Calvin

Gunther Birznieks ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
eXtropia - The Open Web Technology Company
http://www.eXtropia.com/
Office: (65) 64791172 Mobile: (65) 96218290