Paal wrote:

> Don't feel too safe. 75% of what Kodak is investing is in digital.
> I wonder how many percent in two years?

Yes. The Agfa story or the ideas in the management are exchangeable
with any other brand. Kodak and Fuji might be in a more secure
position overall, but if you take e.g. the Kodachrome or other small
segments at Kodak or Fuji, they are in the same position as Agfa. I
am absolute sure that the management there is heavily brainstorming
how to maintain business in, say, a 50% smaller film market and
which products to cover then.

On the other side, we still have e.g. 127 (4x4) film available from
specialized companies. This is a good example that smaller
manufacterers have less problems with shrinking mainstream market
than the big ones. I could imagine that Ilford will survive the
digital revolution better than Kodak or Fuji. Agfa also has some
unique products on offer (I cannot share the opinion on lesser
quality of Agfa films at all - while some of the Kodak films here are
extremely overblown and unnatural in their color rendition), which
might very well survive for many many years. It is a big difference
whether we talk about the availability of films or the existance of
current production places whiche are designed to be profitable with a
certain production volume.

Ralf

This message is from the Pentax-Discuss Mail List. To unsubscribe, visit
http://www.pdml.net and follow the directions.
Don't forget to visit the PUG at http://pug.komkon.org