Bob,

I would say that you lined up the correct reasons.
A similar situation happened with the email list of the Mercedes Benz Club
of America.
MB North America was supporting and hosting their list, until it was to much
trouble.
I do know from MB people first hand that they keep monotoring the list,
because that gives them the best (free) feedback available regarding MB
products, and this without them getting involved.

Your points 1, 2, 3 & 4 are the same as MB had trouble with.
Points 3, 4, 5 & 6 costed MB 3 employees full time.

Another example for the automobile industry, Land Rover North America has 4
part time employees to monitor the several LR related lists. My oldest son
did that during the last summer.
Land Rovers North, an independent dealer, closed their own list for your
point 1, 2, 3, 4.

Mecedes Benz  in Tuscaloosa, AL, where they build there M class SUV (Soft
Urban Vehicle, no it's not a Sport Utility Vehicle) has 2 part timers
monitoring M related lists.

And my Browning list is also monitored by Browning.

It is a very normal trend in most industries to gather all the free
information from lists.

fredd

Regarding the lists where you have to put up with a lot of crap, ever been
on the Tactics list ?

>  1.    Opinions expressed on the list were not the official position of
Pentax .... Corporation
> and they felt that the opinions might be damaging to Pentax's reputation.
What Valentin

go to http://www.pdml.net and follow the directions. Visit the PUG at
http://pug.komkon.org.