On 4 Jun 2003 at 0:54, Caveman wrote:

> Not necessarily. I can produce some images with high global contrast
> that still look flat because of low local contrast, either in luminance,
> or in color discrimination. I don't say that this actually happens with
> digicams, I just say that this is possible.

Sure, but it's hardly only a problem of the digital domain :-)

> You can obviously do that, but you'll need a hell of a precise, with
> tons of bits and high dynamic range DAC. The old analogic tech was
> rather nonlinear - which means that in certain portions of the response
> curve, you had better discrimination of levels than in others. Now if
> you come with linear + DAC, the combo should be at least as good as the
> nonlinear mic in its most sensitive part of the curve.

DACs are now offering specifications beyond the realities of analogue support
circuitry and if you want to read up about a nice mic do a search on the MKH-
800 (digicams aren't expensive).

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998