"Mike Ignatiev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I think it's more complex than "a function of contrast manipulation",
>but still, I don't see why digital cannot replicate exactly (er...
>I mean, "with any arbitrary high degree of precision") *any* analog
>effect (with a little bit of effort). All this "glow", "dimensionality",
>etc.

I think it's most likely to be just part of the learning curve involved
in getting used to a new medium. When people who have been doing
traditional, film color photography for many, many years at a very high
level make the switch to digital, it takes them a long time to un-learn
the way they've done things in the past and learn new approaches.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing