On 4 Jun 2003 at 17:33, Herb Chong wrote:

> i should be more specific. Canon RAW files are actually stored in a different
> color model than the easy to understand RGB. the files contain the equivalent of
> 12-bit RGB. makes for more compact files.

The RAW file is simply the raw data as read from the sensor matrix pre-
interpolation plus a meta data header so if the ADCs are 12 bit then you should
have a 12 bit per pixel recording of colours in a Bayer pattern ie RGBG. So
accuracy of the output colour independent on the depth constraint is a function
of the interpolation algorithm. I used a RAW convertor for my camera which
would rasterize the RAW file, looked pretty weird, and lets you appreciate just
how much smoke a mirrors are being used to generate the final image.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998