Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2003 12:08:27 +0200
From: Bojidar Dimitrov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Boz,

> ...  it
> really makes sense economically to leave out the
aperture ring and the
> aperture simulator.  These are complex mechanical
shapes that require
> lots of machining and complex assembly, and they are
a source of
> problems due to wear and tear.

This makes sense to me.

> The decision to make K and M lenses obsolete (DO YOU
ALL BELIEVE ME
> NOW?) is an economically sound one, and with it
Pentax hopes to cut
> down
production costs and to limit the amount of explaining
> that goes into
> their operating manuals.
>
> Now, this is all a speculation on my side, but just
like the prediction
> that the *ist and *ist D will not work with the K/M
lenses, it is my
> prediction that Pentax will not release another
camera or lens that
> supports aperture-ring operation.

What makes you so sure about that? The FAJ lenses are
cheapos. Saving costs is less important for expensive
items. It does not matter if the FA600/4 lens is say
$50 more or less expensive. But it does matter if the
*istD+18-35mm lens kit becomes $50 more expensive.
It is speculative of course but I don't see a quick
and sudden death of the aperture ring for the more
expensive stuff. Maybe in the long run ...
Also Nikon didn't let it die so far. They [Nikon] say
they have no plans to let it die.

Alexander