On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, J. C. O'Connell wrote:

> Is it just me or does it seem that digicams
> are coming out at a blazing rate? Feels like
> several new models A WEEK!
> JCO

How much do they actually differ?  I haven't been watching closely but
I haven't seen a lot of change of the cheap digicam feature set for a
while.  I suspect there is a lot of market positioning and a lot of
realization that people will buy a cheap digicam.  Also, several bazillion
companies make or market a digicam right now--that is likely to shake out
eventually.  A lot fewer outfits actually make digicam guts, and I think
there is an awful lot of tweaking and repackaging happening.

I think it is also a case of a very new technology for the mass market,
and rapid improvements being made in cheap models.  Look at the rate at
which Pentax introduced slightly upgraded screw-mount cameras in the 50s,
60s, and even 70s.  Not weekly, but every couple of years.

DSLRs are also moving fairly fast (new model every couple of years)
compared to the standard rate for film SLR introduction.  For all that
some folks are impatiently waiting for the successor to the *istD it's a
far cry from the 5-10 year generation time for good film SLRs.

DJE