On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Bob Walkden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Tuesday, November 4, 2003, 6:29:23 AM, you wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > There must have been a time that people said, "real photographers don't need
> > cameras with built-in meters." Because it's been about everything since, like
> > "real photographers don't need auto focus."
>
> they still say it in some circles.
>
> A year or 2 ago I saw a magazine article which had about 8-10
> Magnum photographers discussing the technical details of one of their
> picture. From memory, they were all using modern AF cameras with built-in
> meters, but over half of them were had actually used a separate meter for
> the shot they were discussing.

They knew what they were seeing--their cameras did not.  Even the best
cameras can only guess.

> Cartier-Bresson apparently has a near-perfect ability to judge the correct
> exposure without a meter at all. I believe some people on this list
> claim to be able to do that. I can do it for certain _very_ simple
> situations based around sunny-16 (well, it's not a matter of judgement
> but of experience).

On B&W or color negative film you really only need to be within a couple
of stops.  Most pros are probably at least that good from constant
practice.

I recently shot a couple of rolls of fujichrome velvia through a pair of
Spotmatic SPIIs.  I never use batteries in the Spotmatics because half the
meters are broken and I wouldn't know how to interpret a full-frame
averaging meter anyway.  I set my exposure using a combination of
hand-held incident meter, "sunny-16", and eye-metering.  Only about 2
frames out of 150 were too far off to use.

> In some situations you're far better off using an incident meter
> rather than the built-in reflective meter.

The world isn't always 18% reflectant, certainly.

DJE