On 23 Dec 2003 at 17:19, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

> Y'know, it's funny how, when using other formats, rarely is it said that an 80mm
> lens for a 6x6 is "equivalent" to a 50mm lens for a 35mm camera.  When's the
> last time you heard a 4x5 user ask "What's that lens in 35mm terms?"  This
> equivalency factor smacks of just some more dumbing down by the industry and
> shows a decided lack of understanding by many contemporary photographers, who
> seem to need to have everything spoon fed to them like baby porridge.

The quick assessment of angular lens coverage is more important to most any
photographer than absolute focal length. Lets face it 95% of the population can
relate to AOV as a function of 35mm lens FL. IMHO It's not dumbing down it's
simply current convention. And yes I do think of my medium format lenses in
terms of equivalent 35mm lens coverage, it's call normalization.

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998