Well I used an HP USB CD/RW with a Satellite (Win98SE)no problems.

--

Lon Williamson wrote:

My experience trying to do this with a Win98SE laptop was not good.
I have an external SCSI-based burner.  I tried two different brands
of SCSI PCMCIA cards.  Both totally hung my machine.  Both vendors
had no useful suggestion about how to burp the card to life.

However, an off-brand IEEE 1394 (firewire) does work in my machine.

-Lon

Cotty wrote:

On 3/1/04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] disgorged:
.....................................  How involved would it be for me

to purchase a separate burner and install it myself or, alternatively, has
anyone ever used an external cd-burner with a laptop, and if so, how did you
find it? what problems, if any, did you find? what sort of power source
would I need to run an external cd-burner or would it draw power from the
laptop?

TIA,
tan.

-- graywolf http://graywolfphoto.com

"You might as well accept people as they are,
you are not going to be able to change them anyway."