"William Robb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In affluent parts of the world, I expect enough consumers will go to digital
>to dictate what every one else will do as well.
<snip>
>As far as film hanging around because of non computerized parts of the world
>will be using it, I have a few thoughts:
>Consumer photography is a luxury item.
>In order to have consumer photography, you must have a market with a certain
>amount of affluence.
>Once a society has become affluent enough to have consumer photography, it
>will generally also have things like flush toilets and electric lights.
>Computers won't be far behind that, and so much for film photography in that
>neck of the woods.
>
>Digital prints should be less expensive than projected prints anyway. There
>is far less labour involved.
>We have it set up so that the customer does most of the bookwork, so there
>is a time savings there, and we don't have to handle film or do as much
>quality control inspection to the prints.

What's interesting to speculate to me is what will happen in places
where there is *no* film processing infrastructure now. Digital kiosks
are much less expensive, smaller and easier to manage than C-41
minilabs. I wouldn't be surprised if some places go straight to digital
without ever getting film-based photography at all, just as there were
surely some places a hundred years ago that experienced photography
first as film and never went through the wet plate phase.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing