Boris ...

Of course, to a point, everyone is right in this discussion.

I was actually being a little facetious when I made the
comment about everyone here being "... dedicated to getting
the best results from their cameras".  While that may be
true for many people who actively participate in these
discussions, there are, I know, quite a number of people on
this list who do not have such dedication.  Quite a few have
said at one time or another that, for them, "good enough is
good enough."  And for those people it's quite possible that
these smarter cameras do have a "dumbing" effect.

I'll let you in on a little secret: the reason I prefer
manual cameras is because I'm lazy.  I know that if I had a
camera with too much automation, I'd rely on it more than
I'd like.  At least in my case, Bill Robb's correct ... it's
easy to fall into poor habits.  So I have to make myself
think.  And when I don't, the quality of my work suffers.  I
cannot believe that I am unique in this regard.

I'm also too lazy to sit down and read a 200 page manual
that tells me how to do what I already know electronically,
through menus and interfaces and print outs and with
directions given to me by flashing lights and the occasional
beeping voice of a camera that "thinks" I should do it its
way.  One of the things I HATE about many new cameras is the
lights that flash when the camera program says I'm using the
camera at too slow a shutter speed.

Well, off to get some tea ...

shel