If you have the 360FGZ then you could lower the flash out put using the
compensation on the flash?  Alternatively you could take a projector
screen or some white card with you and bounce off that.  The other thing
you may want to look at is a gold diffuser, stofen do them and they can
give pleasing skin tones.

Alternatively, you could use contrast techniques in your image editor to
adjust things like this:
http://www.calcot.plus.com/Pentax/TanIMGP1386.jpg  I think that may be
closer to what you are looking for?

Rob