Thanks all for the comments, suggestions and links.
I'll visit the links tonite.
I have a 360FGZ, it's pretty impressive, especially wireless TTL!
That and the 280T are the ones I'm interested in using for macro.
I made an aluminun stake with 1/4-20 thread on top, hope to use it to hold
the flash in an off camera TTL (5p) shoe.
It's shaped like a lower case h with the extra leg on the bottom to keep it
from turning, got the idea from a "plant pole".
Should give a little control over placement without being too cumbersome.

Don